Here at Words are Hard, we’re about to celebrate our one year anniversary. It’s been a fantastic year of podcasting for all of us, and we hope you, our listeners, have enjoyed it as much as we have. In fact, we’d like to give something back – but we’re going to make you work for it!
As we are, of course, a writing podcast, we have a writing prompt for you. We want you to take it and run wild! You’re free to write in any genre, with any original characters, and put them in any scenario, but your piece must follow one simple rule:
Write a scene or story using ONLY dialogue. No dialogue tags. No description. No exposition. Just dialogue!
In return, we have a fantastic prize for our winner, of no less than 17 fantasy novellas and story collections, by a wide range of authors, in ebook form. (You can find the full list here.)
Here are the rules:
- Word count: 2000 words maximum (this is our upper limit; we’re happy to accept shorter stories or individual scenes)
- Deadline: May 15th 2017 (Note: our original deadline was going to be in April, but as we know a lot of writers are taking part in Camp NaNoWriMo, we’ve extended it by over a month!)
- One entry per person please!
- Send your entries to our usual email address, firstname.lastname@example.org, and put something recognisable like ‘contest entry’ in the subject line.
- Finally, remember the prompt: your story or scene must be dialogue only!
We’ll be announcing the winner in a post shortly after the contest’s deadline. So, have at it, writers! Whatever genre, mood or tone you choose for your piece, we want to see something unique, that only you can tell. We look forward to seeing what you come up with!